Since 2012 our small family-owned breeder farm has been selling and showing heritage chicks, ducklings, goslings, hatching eggs and registered Nubian dairy goats. We also own a pair of rare Hungarian Komondor dogs (LGD’s) and occasionally we will have a litter of puppies available. Our colourful eating eggs from our free-range chickens are sold year-round at our farm gate. Wild Acres is located in Armstrong, British Columbia, Canada.
Hatching eggs can be picked up at our farm or shipped via Xpresspost to BC, YT, AB, SK, and MB in April, May and June. Day-old poultry and waterfowl can be picked up at our farm in May and June and this is usually arranged for Sunday afternoons. We do not ship chicks or ducklings.
We do not ship hatching eggs to Ontario, Quebec or the eastern provinces due to shipping delays, cost factors and other circumstances.
We breed, show and sell quality CLRC registered Nubian dairy goats. These colourful and show winning Nubians have been health tested and come from many generations of champion milk lines. Our herd is bred for correct confirmation, dairy character and supports strong mammary systems.
Wild Acres Nubian goat herd has tested negative for CL, CAE and Johne’s since September 2, 2016, and G6-S since July 2019. Our Nubian bucks and does are only used for our own breeding program. All of our Nubian goats are registered, tattooed, disbudded, vaccinated and dewormed regularly.
Here is the webpage from the CLRC /Canadian Goat Society for registration information, tattoos, tests and contacts for goat owners:
We prefer to operate on a smaller scale. and we have no intention of becoming a commercial hatchery or owning a large herd of registered Nubian goats. Spending quality time with each animal on our farm is essential.
Our Komondor livestock guardian dogs protect all of our animals with 0 losses to predators. Dignified, loyal and brave the Komondor is called the “King of the Working Dogs”. They are a renowned LGD from 16th century Hungary. Occasionally we have puppies available. Please see this webpage for more information Komondor Livestock Guardian Dogs | Wild Acres
OUR POULTRY BREEDS, WATERFOWL AND NUBIAN GOATS:
Wild Acres breeds many unique and beautiful chickens including the Crele Legbar, Silver Laced Polish, Ameraucana, Marans, Australorp, Jersey Giant, Cuckoo Lavender Orpington, Jubilee Orpington, Wyandotte, Welsummer, Olive Egger and Silkie.
We also breed Indian Runner Ducks, and African Geese However, some of our hatching eggs and day-olds may not be available every year as we work towards improving or replenishing our breeding flocks. See our Price List price or Online Store for more information.
We have enjoyed showing our registered Nubian goats and heritage poultry/waterfowl at the Interior Provincial Exhibition, West National Goat Show, Salmon Arm Fair, APA Canadian National Poultry Show, Fall FeatherFest and the Feather Fancier Show. At Wild Acres we always strive for quality rather than quantity!
- We do not vaccinate our birds nor raise birds on antibiotics.
- We will be accepting pre-orders for 2024 on Nov. 1st. via our Online Store | Wild Acres
- Some breeds may not be available as we work towards replenishing those flocks.
- We do not keep customer lists from year to year.
- We do not take orders via the phone nor by text messaging.
- Payment is via Interac email transfer or cash at our farm gate.
- We do not accept payment via credit cards, personal cheques nor money orders.
- Our hatching eggs are sold via pre-order and only available in April, May and June.
- With our smaller poultry breeding flocks, we can only offer 6-12 eggs or less per week from each breed.
- The minimum order for shipping hatching eggs is 12 (one dozen).
- All livestock will be picked up at our farm gate (no shipping).
- Unsexed day-old chicks and ducklings are only available in May and June for pick up.
- All livestock and hatching eggs are subject to availability.
- There is a limit as to the number of unsexed chicks available for each breed as we keep smaller flocks. See our online store for more details.
- We do not sell laying hens, pullets nor other adult birds and we do not take back any birds once they are purchased and leave our property due to biosecurity reasons.
- We do not lend out our incubators due to biosecurity protocols.
- We do not ship hatching eggs nor poultry outside of Canada.
- There are no guarantees that ordered hatching eggs or picked up eggs will hatch or what the hatch rate will be due to the many variables involved with shipping, handling and incubation.
- Picking up fertile eggs does not guarantee a high hatching rate as there are many factors involved in incubation including: various weather fluctuations affecting the different chicken breeds, travel time and handling of eggs, differences in various incubators, turners and set up locations etc.
- You take a calculated risk with incubating eggs and your results will vary with each hatch and with each unique breed.
- We cannot guarantee shipment dates of hatching eggs, but we can stay in touch and give you an approximate time frame.
- To ensure fertile hatching eggs and chicks we do test hatches regularly during the spring months.
- We breed towards the Standard of Perfection and occasionally show our poultry/waterfowl, but we cannot guarantee show quality for livestock or hatching egg sales.
- We do appreciate your business and we thank-you for supporting our small family farm. However, we do not offer refunds on livestock, replace, nor credit hatching eggs and we do not refund deposits unless we can’t supply the order. This includes hatching eggs picked up at our farm gate.
- We only ship hatching eggs via Canada Post (Xpresspost).
- Canada Post does not offer insurance on hatching eggs nor offer refunds.
- Xpresspost shipping rates are updated each year around Jan. 11th, but Canada Post rates may change from month to month as they did in 2022 so we recalculate shipping prior to shipment.
- Our online store will give you an approximate shipping quote for hatching egg shipments.
- Please see our shipping examples page for estimates from previous years. https://wildacres.ca/shipping-charge-examples/
- We will keep you up to date on our Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/wildacres.ca
- See our policy pages for more information Sales Policy & Ordering | Wild Acres
- Please read our Biosecurity Policies https://wildacres.ca/biosecurity/
- For biosecurity reasons please do not drive or walk into our farmyard.
- We will meet you at the gate when you pick up your chicks, waterfowl or eggs.
- If you have any questions regarding our livestock or store, please contact us via email.
WILD ACRE’S PHILOSOPHY:
We strive to improve our heritage breed stock with each generation. Excellent nutrition and care play a key role in our animals’ well-being and in the quality of our shipped hatching eggs. We believe in being responsible breeders and we also value old-fashioned breeding techniques that promote a healthy flock in a natural way.
We do not vaccinate our birds nor raise birds on antibiotics but believe in strengthening the chickens’ and waterfowl’s immune systems and gene pools with careful selection over several generations and a more holistic approach of good food, free ranging and culling as needed. It takes several generations of keen observation and ongoing daily care of poultry to hatch, raise and breed birds that can thrive in free range mixed poultry setting without the use of antibiotics or vaccines.
To improve our flocks from one generation to the next we:
-strive for natural immunity and free range our flock for most of the year in our growing orchard/permaculture environment
-only bring in unrelated show lines and quality stock if needed for gene pool strengthening and we prefer to use hatching eggs for biosecurity reasons
-quarantine poultry both before and after shows
-regularly consult with our veterinarian
-select our best stock for poultry shows and breeding purposes over several generations
-carefully choose the largest and richest coloured eggs with the strongest shells for hatching and shipping purposes
-consistently work towards the American Poultry Association Standards and cull birds that show signs of sickness, weaknesses or aggressive temperaments
–practice biosecurity and do not allow farm visits or tours Biosecurity | Wild Acres
-all pick up sales transactions are done at our front gate and by appointment
-do not allow any birds to return to our property once purchased
–achieve these goals without vaccines
We want to produce vigorous birds that are beautiful, lay well and can live together in harmony in a more natural setting. Therefore, we are in the process of creating a permaculture food forest for our livestock so that they can enjoy their lives more fully year-round. Their health has been enhanced as they forage for fruit, berries, veggies, herbs, grasses and insects in an edible forest. The food forest also provides protection from the natural elements and predators.
“Permaculture is a holistic, living-in-harmony-with-nature worldview, as well as technical approach for how to do so. “https://modernfarmer.com/2016/04/permaculture/
We firmly believe in giving our poultry and waterfowl the time they need to recuperate after the spring and summer breeding season. Therefore, our poultry and waterfowl free range for most of the year in mixed flock groupings in our fields.
Adding artificial lighting to poultry breeding pens can alter individual behaviour, with often drastic and potentially negative effects on biological rhythms, daily activity and reproduction. Light pollution disrupts sleep in free-living animals (nih.gov)
It can be stressful for birds to add artificial lighting to their breeding pen year-round just to improve egg production or fertility. This depletes their nutritional stores and wears out both the hens and the roosters prematurely. We noticed this in our early years on our farm and we have decided not to give our breeding flocks artificial lights or to prolong their natural breeding season beyond the spring and summer months. The health of our poultry and waterfowl comes first above sales or reproduction so hatching eggs, chicks and their sales are limited to only a few months in the spring each year.
Purchasing from us means you accept and agree to our terms and conditions.
Please read our Terms and Conditions under our Policy webpages
Sales Policy & Ordering | Wild Acres
We rely heavily on word of mouth and repeat customer business, and this is why we ensure all our customers get the best service and advice possible – so please, if you have any further questions, which have not been answered on our website, don’t hesitate to contact us via email at email@example.com Thank you for your patience and for supporting our small family farm!
You can find more information and pictures concerning our poultry, waterfowl and Nubian goats on our Facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/wildacres.ca/
Please see this webpage for a Google Map and directions to our farm
Contact | Wild Acres